Jesús Papoleto Meléndez, who published HEY YO! YO SOY! in October 2012, was the first 2Leaf Press book to ever be published. To commemorate the author and celebrate the edition, 2Leaf Press, in association with Capicu Poetry & Cultural Showcase held a star-studded celebration on on October 17 at The Nuyorican Poet Cafe in New York City.
Poets that participated included Frank Perez, Not4Prophet, Bonafide Rojas, Sandra Maria Esteves, Jani Rose, Myrna Nieves, Urayoan Noel Tomas, Carmen Bardqguez-Brown, Nicolas Linares, Cindy SugaRush, JMx Poetess and Samuel Diaz Carrion, with a special appearance by bassist Jonathan Toscano. The event was emceed by the legendary Keith Roach. Also featured was a documentary on Meléndez by filmmaker Vagabond, and a special video commemorating the event by poet and board member, Stephanie Agosto.
Books were sold, and people partied after (and during) the event. Moguel Algarin, one of the founders of the Nuyorican Cafe, and originally slated to appear at the event (and could not due to a scheduling conflict At Hunter College’s Centro), stopped by later on that evening to offer his support. Special thanks to Papo Swiggity and Jani Rose of Capicu Poetry for putting together and promoting a successful evening. HEY YO! YO! SOY is available for sale in print and ebook formats.
- On Hispanic Heritage, the Boricua diaspora through Nuyorican literature (nbclatino.com)
- Nuyorican Poets Cafe (carochu.wordpress.com)
- Capicu Culture And XMental University Team Up To Benefit Homeless Children (sofritoforyoursoul.com)
- Happiness Shines Through as Poets and Wanderers Play (sf1546.wordpress.com)
- Hunter College’s Center for Puerto Rican Studies celebrates 40th anniversary (repeatingislands.com)
- Large Up: La Mecánica Popular – La Paz Del Freak (djcrownprince.wordpress.com)